Raspberry Swirl Gelato di Riso
Rice becomes part of a deliciously indulgent treat when you combine it with vanilla, raspberries and a sprinkling of dark chocolate! Bust out the ice cream maker and get churning!
For the rice
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup Royal Ⓡ Jasmine Rice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
For the custard
- 2½ cups whole milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
For the raspberry puree
- 1½ cups fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan combine milk, rice, sugar, vanilla bean (if using vanilla extract, do not add), and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer slowly until very tender and thickened, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract, if not using vanilla bean, and heavy cream. Remove vanilla bean and scrape any seeds into the rice mixture. Let cool completely and refrigerate.
- In a medium saucepan bring milk to a simmer. While heating milk, in a medium bowl, whisk sugar and yolks until light in color. Whisk half of simmering milk into yolks, then whisk yolk mixture into remaining milk. Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened (temperature should reach 180℉ on an instant read thermometer). Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Stir the custard into the rice and transfer to an ice cream maker. Freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- While ice cream freezes, combine raspberries and sugar in a food processor . Pulse until liquid. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve to remove seeds, and set aside.
- When the ice cream is almost finished churning, add chocolate pieces to ice cream maker.
- Spread half of ice cream into a loaf pan and drizzle half of raspberry puree over it, using a knife to swirl it into the ice cream. Top with remaining ice cream, then drizzle remaining raspberry puree over and swirl in. Press parchment or wax paper directly on ice cream and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.