Lamb and Royal® Jasmine Rice Stuffed Eggplant with Greek Yogurt and Mint
Basmati rice becomes an irresistible Mediterranean-inspired dinner when you combine it with lamb, eggplant and a delicious Greek yogurt sauce.
- 1 cup Royal® Jasmine Rice
- 1¾ cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons GrapeOla® Grapeseed Oil, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 small onion)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
- Combine Royal® Jasmine rice, water, and pinch of salt in a small sauce pot with tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut each eggplant in half, lengthwise through stem. Cut eggplant flesh lengthwise in ¾-inch intervals, cutting almost to, but not through, the skin. Cut eggplant flesh crosswise in ¾-inch intervals, cutting almost to, but not through, the skin. Drizzle eggplant flesh evenly with 1½ tablespoons of GrapeOla® Grapeseed oil, and sprinkle evenly with ¾ teaspoon of salt. Place eggplant halves, cut sides down, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven until tender and light brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and cool 10 minutes. Scoop out eggplant flesh, leaving a ½-inch-thick border. Chop eggplant flesh, and set aside.
- Stir together yogurt, lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt in a small bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Heat remaining ½ tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add lamb, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer lamb to a medium bowl. Add onion to skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, paprika, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon to onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Add onion mixture, eggplant flesh, rice, 1 tablespoon of the mint, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt to lamb. Stir just until combined.
- Divide mixture evenly among eggplant skins, and return to prepared baking sheet. Bake at 400°F until eggplant is browned and filling sets.