Indian Rice With Eggplant
Golden, spiced and pan-fried eggplant tops our Indian flavored Jasmine Rice in a warming vegetarian dinner recipe.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1″ chunks
- 3 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño or 2 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves, optional
- 1½ cups RoyalⓇ Jasmine Rice
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Chopped cilantro
- Place a colander in the sink and add eggplant. Toss with 2 teaspoons salt and let sit 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Add garlic and peppers and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add mustard and cumin seeds and curry leaves, if using. Cook 1 minute. Stir in rice, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon turmeric and stir until rice is coated with spices. Stir in 2¼ cups water, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer until tender, 15 minutes.
- In a skillet heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Rinse eggplant and drain well. Blot dry with a kitchen towel. Place eggplant in skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides and tender, about 10 minutes.
- To serve, toss rice with eggplant and top with cilantro