- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- A pinch of saffron ground and soaked into 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 bags Royal Ready to Heat White Basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- Yellow food coloring (optional)
- Heat ghee in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in cardamom pods, cloves, bay leaf and fry until the spices become aromatic. About 1 minute.
- Add in the nuts raisins and powdered cardamom. Fry again until nuts begin to toast. A few minutes.
- Add in sugar, water, saffron water and stir until melted.
- Add in rice and stir to combine.
- Add rose water and continue to cook until rice is coated and begins to absorb sugar mixture. Remove aromatic whole spices like clove, bay leaf and cardamom if desired before serving.
- Add yellow food coloring if desired to enhance the color of the rice.