Weeknight Chicken Vindaloo with Garlic and Ghee Rice
- 2 packages (each 8.5 oz) Ready to Heat – Garlic and Ghee
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 tsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 red finger chili, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in large high-sided skillet set over medium heat. Season chicken with salt. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until starting to brown. Transfer to a plate. Stir in butter, onion, red pepper, diced chili, garlic and ginger. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Stir in garam masala, coriander, cumin, paprika, pepper, turmeric and cayenne. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, sweet potato, chopped tomato and vinegar; bring to a boil. Add chicken back to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked, sweet potato is tender, and sauce thickens.
- Serve vindaloo over rice. Garnish with cilantro.
Tip: Substitute apple cider vinegar with white wine or red wine vinegar, if that’s all you have on hand.
For less spicy vindaloo, reduce cayenne pepper to 1/4 tsp.