- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 onion large, diced
- 1 green chili pepper, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 3 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 1/2 cups Royal White Basmati Rice
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 cinnamon stick (2-inch piece)
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 1/2 cup crispy shallots (optional)
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Heat ghee in skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, green chili, garlic and ginger for 5 to 8 minute or until tender.
- Stir in cumin, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Cook cauliflower, carrot and potatoes for 5 to 8 minutes or until well coated.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup water and tomato paste.
- Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stir in peas.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan set over medium-high heat; cook cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and bay leaves for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in rice; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add 3 cups water; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 325° toss together cilantro and mint; reserve 4 tsp for garnish.
- Stir together yogurt, milk, ghee and saffron until blended.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
- Grease Dutch oven; layer one-quarter of the rice mixture, one-quarter of the yogurt mixture, one-quarter of the remaining herb mixture and one-third of the vegetable curry in pan.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Layer remaining rice, yogurt and herb mixture over top.
- Cover and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with fried shallots (if using), almonds, raisins and remaining herb mixture.