Veg Dum Biryani with Royal Chef’s Secret Basmati Rice
Gather friends and family for a Veg Dum Biryani, a dish perfect for iftar during the month of Ramadan.
For the rice:
- 1½ cups Royal Chef’s Secret Basmati Rice
- 2¾ cups water
- Pinch of salt
For the vegetables:
- 2 tablespoons GrapeOla Grapeseed Oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 green cardamom pods
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 rounded teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 8 oz green beans, cut in two pieces
- Salt to taste
To layer the biryani
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- For the rice, in a medium sauce pot, bring water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Add the rice and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- For the vegetables, bring the oil over medium-high high in a large sauté pan. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, garam masala and all other spices. Sauté until spices are fragrant. Add the onions and sauté until soft. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and water and stir. Add cauliflower, mushrooms, and green beans, and desired amount of salt. Bring to a boil, and stir. Reduce to a simmer and let cook until liquid is almost completely evaporated.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pan. Add the onions and caramelize, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add milk, saffron, mint and cilantro. Stir.
- In a large serving dish, layer the biryani with the rice, saffron mixture and vegetables.