Thai Coconut Rice Salad
Bring the flavors of Thailand to your next BBQ with a fresh and easy-to-make-ahead Thai Coconut Rice Salad! Crunchy cabbage, fresh cucumber, cashews and a sweet and spicy peanut dressing are sure to cool and satisfy.
- 2 cups RoyalⓇ Basmati Rice
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce or 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 red Thai chiles, thinly sliced, or ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup creamy unsweetened peanut butter
- ½ cup canned coconut milk, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup roasted cashews
- ½ cup toasted flaked coconut
- In a large saucepan combine rice and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit 10 minutes. Uncover, fluff rice with a fork, and spread out on a baking sheet to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl whisk together lime juice, fish sauce or salt, sugar, garlic, and chiles or pepper flakes. Toss with the cooled rice.
- In a medium bowl whisk together peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar, and salt. If needed, add a little more coconut milk to reach the desired consistency. Set aside.
- Toss rice in a large serving bowl with cucumber, cabbage, mint, cilantro, green onion, cashews, and coconut. Drizzle with peanut sauce and serve.