Shish Tawook (or Shish Taouk) with Royal Basmati Rice
Your tastebuds will rejoice with the smoky, roasted flavors of this Shish Tawook with Royal Basmati Rice.
For the Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Royal Basmati Rice
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
For the Skewers
- 6-7 wooden skewers soaked in water
- 2 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-1½ inch pieces
For the Marinade
- 1 lemon, juiced (roughly ¼ cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cups plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
- For the rice, bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pot with a tight fitting lid. Add the rice and pinch of salt, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Place the cubed chicken into a flat, sealable container and pour the marinade over the chicken. Mix the chicken with the marinade to be sure all the pieces are well-coated.
- Cover the container and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat your grill to a medium heat, roughly 350F. (You should be able to hold your hand about 3 inches from the cooking grate for 6-7 seconds.)
- Thread the chicken pieces onto the soaked skewers, pressing the pieces up against each other.
- Grill the chicken skewers for 8-10 minutes a side, until the chicken is firm and golden.
- Serve the shish tawook with and sliced tomatoes, the rice and grilled vegetables.