5 cups of Royal® Chef’s Secret Basmati Rice
1 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp or more of salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1 tbsp of coriander powder
1 tsp of cumin powder
5 cups of chicken stock
2 tbsp of oil
2 tbsp of butter
Pinch of nutmeg
CHICKEN SHAWARMA MARINADE:
3 lbs of chicken breast or thighs sliced
Salt to taste
1 tsp of pepper
5 tsp of garlic powder
1/4th tsp of cinnamon powder
1 tsp of ground cardamom
1 tbsp of ground coriander
1 tbsp of ground cumin
1/4th tsp of turmeric
1 tbsp of paprika for color
1 tsp of chili powder (optional)
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tbsp of olive oil
FRYING CHICKEN INGREDIENTS:
1 chopped white onion
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp of grape seed oil
- Wash the rice a few times till the water runs clear and let it soak for 20 minutes
- In a large dutch oven, met the oil and butter together over medium high heat. When the butter has melted, add in all the spices. Let the spices get toasted in the butter.
- Drain the rice completely and add it to the pot. Mix till the spices coat the rice completely. Add the stock and adjust seasoning.
- Now wait for the rice to soak up the stock, it should start bubbling. Once that happens, cover and cook it for a further 20 minutes on low heat.
- After 20 minutes, fluff the rice with a fork
- Marinate all the ingredients for the chicken for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- In a large frying utensil, add the grape seed oil, the onion and bayleaf and fry till the onions are translucent.
- Add in the chicken and fry till the juices run dry and the chicken is cooked through completely.
- Plate up the rice in a serving dish, pay a few dots of butter over it, and spoon the chicken on the side.
- Serve with tzatziki sauce, harissa spicy sauce and a fresh salad.
- Make sure you wash the rice thoroughly
- You can add more chili powder to the chicken marinade for an added spice kick.
- If you’d like to make the rice in an instant pot, press the IP to sauté mode and follow steps1-3. Turn off sauté mode. Cover the instant pot with its lid. And set to high pressure for 5 minutes. Let it come to rest for 5 minutes after the IP indicates that cook time is done. Release pressure and the rice is done.
- Similar you can air fry the chicken at 380 for 20 minutes flipping half way. Or bake at 450 for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.