Shakshouka with Royal Jasmine Rice
Who says you can’t have eggs for dinner? You can with our Shakshouka, paired perfectly with Royal Jasmine Rice.
For the Rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup Royal® Jasmine Rice
- Pinch of salt
For the Shakshouka
- 2 Tablespoons GrapeOla Grape Seed Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 3 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm the grape seed oil and then add the garlic, cumin, onion, peppers, and salt. Sauté for about 10 minutes, until the peppers soften.
- Add the tomatoes, bring to a gentle simmer. Add tomato sauce. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Make four little dips in the sauce. Gently break the eggs and carefully pour each into its own dip. Use a fork to swirl the egg whites a little bit with the sauce, taking care not to break the yolks. Simmer gently for 8 to 10 minutes, until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still running.
- Remove from the heat and leave for a couple of minutes to settle, then spoon onto individual plates. Serve with Royal Jasmine Rice.