Seasoned Rice [Phodnica Bhat]
This is a great way to use leftover rice. When leftover rice is refrigerated overnight, chemical reactions take place inside the grain that makes it dryer and gives it a unique flavor perfect for this Indian comfort food.
- 1 cup Royal® Basmati Rice or Jasmine Rice, cooked 6-8 hours earlier
- ½ white onion, minced
- 2 ripe Roma tomatoes OR 3 Campari tomatoes, diced
- ½ Thai bird chili, sliced OR ¼ teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1½ tablespoons Grapeola® Grape Seed Oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds or cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1-1½ teaspoons salt
- A pinch of sugar
- 2 teaspoons peanuts (optional)
- 4-6 sprigs cilantro leaves, washed & finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime (optional)
- Use day old Basmati rice. Fork through the cooked rice to separate the grains. Prepare onions, tomatoes and chilies. Measure out spices and have them handy by the stove.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Pop in the mustard seed or cumin seed; add chilies or paprika and turmeric. Sauté onions, 2-3 minutes, until they are softened but not brown.
- Stir in tomatoes. When they release their liquid (almost immediately), add rice and ½ teaspoon salt. Mix well and sauté over medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in more salt if needed and add sugar. Cook 3-5 minutes more. Add peanuts if you like. Garnish with cilantro and lime juice and serve hot or at room temperature.