Mushroom Empanadas – Made with Royal® Sharbati Atta
These mushroom and spinach empanadas are a flaky, buttery treat made with whole wheat, vegetables, and a healthy helping of your favorite type of cheese.
For the Crust
- 2½ cups Royal® Sharbati Atta
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold, diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup cold water
For the Filling
- 2 minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound portabella mushrooms sliced thin
- Handful of spinach
- Your favorite cheese
- Mix flour and salt in mixer. Then add butter, a few pieces at a time, until the mixture is coarse.
- In separate bowl, whisk sour cream and lemon juice then mix add into flour mixture. Then add the ice water until the dough sticks together in big lumps. Turn out onto a floured surface and, being careful not to overwork the dough, form it into a cohesive ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Sauté mushrooms, onions and spinach until reduced in size.
- To assemble the empanadas, divide your refrigerated dough in half and let it stand at room temperature until softer, about 5 minutes.
- Roll out each half on a floured surface until about ⅛ inch thick. Cut out about six 4-inch circles out of each sheet.
- Drop a tablespoon of the filling into the middle of each dough circle . Fold over and press the edges firmly together, then use the tines of a fork to make a decorative edge. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes at 375° F. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.