Royal Basmati Rice Phirnee Truffles
Phirnee is an Indian pudding made from ground rice, milk and sugar. Chef Chauhan has taken this simple yet rich comfort food, dipped it in dark chocolate and transformed it into an elegant truffle.
- ¼ cup Royal Basmati Rice
- 3¾ cups milk
- ¾-1 cup sugar or as required
- 20 almonds, blanched and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A pinch of saffron
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Almond slivers, to garnish
- Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes, then drain and grind to a sand-like consistency
- Heat milk in a thick-bottomed pan
- When the milk becomes warm, take 1 tbsp. of milk and place in a bowl with the saffron strands. Set aside
- Bring remaining milk to a boil, then lower the flame. Add the ground rice, stir and add sugar.
- Cook the rice in milk, continuously stirring so that lumps don’t form.
- When the rice is almost cooked, add almonds, cardamom powder and saffron milk. Stir and cook for another 5-6 minutes till the mixture thickens.
- Pour the mixture in a greased half-sheet tray. When it becomes warm, grease your hands and form into small balls.
- Heat shortening and chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Dip truffles, one at a time, into chocolate. Place on aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet. Immediately sprinkle with almond slivers.