Rice Crust Veggie Pizza with Royal® Basmati Rice
No gluten? No problem! Royal® Basmati Rice blended with cheese and egg stands in for a traditional wheat pizza crust in our Rice Crust Veggie Pizza recipe!
For the Rice Crust
- 2 cups Royal® Basmati Rice
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
For the sauce and toppings
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring water to a boil in a medium sauce pot with tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff rice with a fork and set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, beaten egg, mozzarella cheese and pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Press mixture evenly into a lightly greased 12 inch pizza pan, covering bottom and sides. Bake for 4-6 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before adding filling.
3. In a mixing bowl, stir together tomato sauce, garlic, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil, Italian herb seasoning and black pepper. Spread sauce mixture over the rice crust, then top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Arrange vegetable toppings and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of GrapeOla® Grapeseed Oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.