Ramadan Special: Aromatic Fried Rice with Nuts & Raisins
- 1 and ½ cup rice, washed and kept aside.
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 black cardamoms
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 star anise
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 1 or 2 mace flower
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 red onion (6 to 7 oz), finely chopped
- ¼ cup assorted nuts,( cashew, almond, pistachio)
- ¼ cup raisins
- A pinch of saffron
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 cups water
- In a heavy bottom pan at medium heat pour the ghee followed by the nuts and raisins.
- Toss it around until it’s little toasted then take the nuts and raisins.
- To the same pan now add the whole spices and let it sizzle for a minute. Then scatter the onions and season with salt.
- Cook the onion until mild golden color.
- Scatter the rice and toss it around for few seconds.
- Add water, season with salt, add the saffron and give it a mix. Allow the rice to cook through completely.
- Once the rice is cooked through, add the sugar and the toasted nuts, plus raisins. Mix it around, cover the pan and leave aside for 5 minutes.
- Fluff it with a fork and serve with some pomegranate and fresh mint on top, along with finely chopped cilantro.