Poached Fish with Cilantro rice
- 2 fillet of any variety white fish or salmon.
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Sliced green onion for garnish
- 1 lime, jest and juice
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
*if coconut milk is unsweetened then you will need ½ teaspoon sugar
- Using a motor pestle, pound the ginger with cilantro leaves and green onion.
- In a heavy bottom pan at medium heat, add the oil and once it heats up, scatter the sliced onion along with salt. Sauté for 1 minute and then add the ginger cilantro and green onion paste. Cook for 4 minutes. Pour the coconut milk, turmeric powder, chili powder and cumin powder. Stir it around and bring it to boil. Then bring the heat down to simmer, layer the fish fillet and let it slow cook for 7 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
- Keep in mind that depending on the kind of fish and size of fish you are using; the cooking time will differ.
- Once the fish is cooked through, switch off the heat add lime zest and juice. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Enjoy the dish warm with cilantro rice garnished with more fresh cilantro leaves and sliced green onion.