Lentil and Sweet Potato Bowl with Avocado Sauce
For the Lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 cups red or yellow lentils
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- cayenne pepper, a pinch
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the Avocado sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ripe avocado
To Assemble the Bowl
- 2 cups cooked Royal® Basmati Rice
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch of spinach or kale, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- cilantro, for serving (optional)
- To make the lentils, in a large pot bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat another large skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil, shallot, garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add salt, curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook 1 minute longer.
- Add coconut milk and then stir in lentils. Adjust seasoning to taste. Lastly, take off the heat and add lemon juice.
- Make the avocado sauce by pureeing all the ingredients in a food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (You could also make the sauce in a large mortar and pestle)
- Make roasted sweet potatoes by heating the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut sweet potato into 1/2 inch rounds or sticks. Season with 1 tablespoon cooking oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
- In a small sauté pan heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Sautee kale or spinach until wilted and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble bowls by adding cooked Royal Basmati Rice, roasted sweet potatoes, lentils and then top with avocado sauce. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.