Easy-to-Make Basmati Rice
People are often daunted by the thought of cooking rice. In fact, it is easy and you don’t need a rice cooker. This basic method is the foundation of many of our recipes; a simple way of making white Basmati or Jasmine rice. Follow the recipe and you will have fluffy, delicious rice every time. If you like, add a teaspoon of butter or grape seed oil and a pinch of salt to the cooking water for more flavor.
- 1 cup Royal® Basmati Rice
- 2 cups water
- Salt & butter or Grapeola® Grape Seed Oil to taste (optional)
- Place Royal Basmati rice in a medium mixing bowl. Cover with water. Rinse rice until the water turns milky.
- Drain rice well over a colander. Repeat this cleaning process until the water runs clear (1-2 times more). This helps get rid of grit and extra starch in the rice.
- Place cleaned rice in a pot to cook. Cover with 2 cups fresh water. Cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until the water begins to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in a pinch of salt and butter if you like. Cover the pot and cook rice until tender, 8-10 minutes. Do not stir while rice is cooking as this breaks up the grains. Occasionally uncover the pot to check how much water is being absorbed.
- The rice is ready when the water is fully absorbed and the rice grains have expanded and become fluffy. Turn off the heat and let the hot rice sit covered until needed.