Chana Saag with Royal Basmati Rice
Protein-packed chickpeas, loads of spinach, and fresh tomato all come together to create our chana saag, a popular Indian curry.
For the Rice
- 1 cup Royal® Basmati Rice
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
For the Chana Saag
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and pinch of salt. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, in a medium sized pot, add butter over medium heat. When it’s sizzling hot, toss in the diced onions. Saute the onions for five minutes with a pinch of salt.
- When the onion starts turning a pale golden, add the ginger and garlic, and saute for another 3-5 minutes. Add the turmeric, chili, cumin and stir. If the mixture starts getting stuck to the bottom of the pot, add a tablespoon of warm water and scrape it off.
- Add the tomato and stir for a couple of minutes until it disintegrates. When it does, add half a cup of warm water. Lower the heat to medium and let the spices infuse the tomato for one minute.
- Add the spinach and stir, cooking for five minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and stir. Let chickpeas cook with the mixture another five minutes. Add salt to taste and sprinkle with garam masala. Serve with Royal® Basmati Rice.