Al Kabsa with Royal Basmati Rice
The spiced warmth of this Al Kabsa recipe, made with Royal Basmati, is great on a cold winter evening.
For the Chicken and Rice
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tomato puree
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 2 cloves, whole
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2¼ cups Royal Basmati rice
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
Kabsa Spice Mix
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- ¼ teaspoon ground green cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground dried limes
- Melt butter in a large stock pot, casserole or dutch oven. Add chicken pieces, onion & garlic & sauté until onion is tender. Stir in tomato puree and simmer over a low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, cloves, all the spices and salt and pepper. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Add rice to the pot and stir carefully.
- Re-cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, adding the raisins for the last 10 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Place the rice on a large serving dish, topped with the chicken & garnished with almonds and Kabsa spice.