Vanilla Custard Pudding with Royal Basmati Rice
Need to add a little bit of sweetness to your meal plans? Dive into our Vanilla Custard Royal® Basmati Rice Pudding recipe!
- 1 cup Royal Basmati Rice
- 1 ¾ cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 4 egg yolks and 1 whole egg, whisked together
- Vanilla wafer cookies, for serving
- In a medium sauce pot with a tight fitting lid, combine rice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, then set aside, covered.
- While the rice is cooking, make the pudding. In a medium sauce pan, combine the milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and vanilla bean seeds. Heat over medium-high, whisking frequently to keep the sugar from burning. Once the milk mixture is hot, reduce heat, then pour ¼ of a cup into the eggs and whisk.
- Add another ¼ cup of the hot milk to the eggs and whisk again.
- Slowly add the egg/milk mixture to the rest of the milk, whisking continuously. Continue whisking until the mixture starts to thicken. Once thick, remove from heat.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. Serve warm or cold, with vanilla wafers.