Summer Lamb and Dill Biryani with Royal® Chef’s Secret Long Grain Basmati Rice
We created this Summer Lamb and Dill Biryani to share with your friends and family over Eid, but you can gather around a delicious plate of this all year round too.
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 green chillies, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup whole milk yogurt
- 1 pound lamb loin, cut into chunks
- 1¾ cups water
- 1 cup Royal® Chef’s Secret Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 1 cup fresh dill, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 large pinch saffron, soaked in 3 tbsp boiling water
- Yogurt, naan bread, chutney and lime pickle, to serve
- Put the onion, garlic, ginger, chilies and yogurt in a small food processor and purée. Place in a medium sized bowl and add the lamb and mix. Leave to marinate for 2 hours.
- Bring 1¾ cups water in a pan with a tight fitting lid to a boil. Add the rice and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Stir in the dill and cilantro. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the first 4 spices until fragrant. Add in the lamb and marinade and sauté, turning until the lamb starts to brown a little. Add garam masala, saffron, and a splash of water, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Layer the rice, lamb and cooking liquid in an oven safe dish. Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and uncover. Garnish with fresh dill and cilantro.