Somali Rice Pilaf (Bariis Fahfah) with Royal® Chef’s Secret Extra Long Grain Basmati Rice
Enjoy some culture and eat it too! Try out this simple yet flavorful Somali recipe for Bariis Fahfah – aromatic rice cooked with broth and spices.
- 2 cups Royal® Chef’s Secret Extra Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 2 Tablespoons GrapeOla® Grapeseed Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ cup raisins
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, and salt. Sauté the onions until soft. Add cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, cumin, and raisins. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add rice and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork. Garnish with onions and raisins and a pinch of saffron.