Shrimp with Blood Oranges, Snap Peas and Royal Jasmine Rice
On a dreary day, contrast the gray skies with the colorful mixture of flavors in this shrimp recipe made with blood oranges, snap peas, and Royal Jasmine Rice!
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup Royal Jasmine Rice
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 5 blood oranges
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 8 ounces snap peas
- 3 tablespoons GrapeOla Oil
- 2 tablespoons Chili d’arbol powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
- 4 scallions, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- For the rice, in a small sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Add Royal Jasmine Rice and pinch of salt. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Season the shrimp with ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the cornstarch and toss to coat; set aside. Juice 3 blood oranges into a small bowl; add the vinegar, honey, tomato paste, sesame oil and ½ teaspoon salt and whisk to combine. Quarter the remaining 2 oranges and thinly slice; set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the snap peas and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain and immediately transfer to the ice bath; let sit until cool, then drain and pat dry.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat; add 2 tablespoons GrapeOla oil. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon GrapeOla oil and the chiles to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add the blood orange juice mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return the shrimp to the skillet and stir until warmed through, about 1 minute. Add the snow peas, scallions and blood orange slices; toss to combine. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve with for the Royal Jasmine Rice.