Royal Rice Pudding Fritters with Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam
- 750 ml milk (3 cups)
- 1 cup Authentic Royal® dry Basmati rice (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup butter, diced
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1 piece of thinly peeled lemon rind
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp golden rum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Pure icing sugar, for dusting
Rhubarb and winter strawberry jam
- 1 2/3 cups rhubarb, trimmed & chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled, halved
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Combine milk, rice, butter, vanilla bean and seeds and lemon rind in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (20-25 minutes). Transfer to a bowl, cool to room temperature (30-45 minutes) and discard vanilla bean. Add sugar, flour, egg, rum, and baking powder, stir to combine and refrigerate until firm (4-6 hours; if the mixture feels a little too wet add 1 tbsp of plain flour until it comes together).
- For rhubarb and strawberry jam, place rhubarb, strawberries and 50ml water in a saucepan over medium heat. and cook partially covered, stirring frequently, until rhubarb is tender (12-15 minutes). Add sugar and lemon juice and cook until mixture reaches setting point (15-20 minutes; see cook’s notes p177). Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil to 180C in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan. Deep-fry heaped tablespoonfuls of batter in batches until golden (2-3 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Dust with icing sugar and serve with rhubarb and strawberry jam.