Royal Basmati Rice Morel Risotto
Did you know you can make a delicious risotto using fragrant, long grain Royal Basmati Rice? You can! The nutty aroma of Royal Basmati Rice, morel mushrooms, saffron and plenty of parmesan cheese come together in this colorful dish full of rich flavor.
- 1 cup Royal Basmati Rice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine (or mushroom broth from step 1)
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup asparagus pieces
- ½ cup dried morel mushrooms
- 10 crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated hard cheese, such as parmesan or romano
- Salt to taste
- In a saucepan, boil the morel mushrooms till tender, drain, and reserve the stock. Slice the morel mushrooms.
- Heat vegetable broth to boiling and add saffron. Add asparagus and remove once cooked.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add garlic, shallot and mushrooms and sauté until tender, but no browned
- Add rice and mix thoroughly until well coated with oil.
- When the rice is opaque, add the wine or mushroom broth
- When the rice has absorbed all mushroom broth, add enough vegetable broth to cover the rice (Approx. ½-1 cup)
- Stir over medium heat until broth is absorbed. Continue this process, adding broth a little at a time until the rice is tender, but not mushy – about 20-25 minutes. When rice is cooked to taste, the dish should be slightly saucy.
- Add asparagus to the rice.
- Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately topped with remaining cheese.