- 2 ½ cups Royal Chef’s Secret Basmati rice, washed 5-7 times
- 4 oz toasted linguini (toasted in the oven at 350 for 6 minutes)
- ½ teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 3 tablespoons of very hot water
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup black raisins
- ½ cup pitted dates
- Let rice soak in a bowl filled with water and 1 tablespoon of salt for 30 minutes.
- Fill a large nonstick pot with water and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring water back to a boil and add rice and the noodles.
- Cook rice for 6 minutes. Then turn heat off and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Rice and pasta should be soft on the outside but still firm on the inside. Drain rice and noodles completely.
- Wipe out pot and and return it to medium high heat. Add 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1-2 tablespoons liquid saffron.
- Add rice back to the pot in a pyramid shape. Make some indents in the rice with the handle of a spatula to allow steam to escape.
- Leave the pot uncovered on medium high heat for 7-10 minutes or until steam begins to escape (this is also a crucial step in creating the Tahdig or crispy bottom).
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil and ¼ cup hot water to the top of the rice. Cover the pot with a kitchen towel and then the lid. Wrap towel over the lid so the towel doesn’t burn. Steam cook the rice on low heat for 45-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry onions in 2 tablespoons of oil stirring frequently until crispy and browned.
- When rice is done take a large scoop of rice from the pot. Add it to a bowl with the remaining saffron water. Stir the rice to coat it and color it.
- Plate rice by removing it with a spatula and layer in raisins, dates, and onions.
- Top the Reshteh polo with the saffron rice and serve with the crispy Tahdig either on the side or broken into pieces on around the Reshteh Polo