Persian Chicken with Lime, Turmeric, and Royal® Chef’s Secret Long Grain Basmati Rice
Our Persian Chicken with Lime, Turmeric, and Royal® Chef’s Secret Long Grain Basmati Rice recipe is the perfect comfort food to help get you through a busy week.
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus 8 wedges for serving (3–4 limes total)
- 3 tablespoons GrapeOla® Grapeseed Oil, divided
- 2¼ teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup Royal® Chef’s Secret Long Grain Basmati Rice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- 1 English hothouse or large standard cucumber, peeled if desired, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into ½” pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup (packed) herb leaves, such as mint, cilantro, and/or dill
- ⅓ cup shelled unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Sumac (for serving; optional)
- Mix chicken, onion, turmeric, chopped garlic, lime juice, 1 Tbsp. oil, 2 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. salt, and ¾ tsp. pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium in a heavy medium saucepan. Add rice and smashed garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted and fragrant, 1–2 minutes. Stir in cardamom, cinnamon,¼ tsp. salt, and remaining ¼ tsp. cumin and ¼ tsp. pepper. Add 1¾ cups water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and gently simmer, covered, until water is evaporated and rice is cooked, 18–20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit, covered, until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high in a large skillet until very hot but not smoking. Add chicken mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 6–8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt, if using, then adjust seasoning to taste. Cover to keep warm.
- Gently toss cucumber, herbs, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt in a small bowl.
- Fluff rice with a fork and divide among bowls. Spoon chicken over. Top with cucumber salad, pistachios, and sumac, if using. Generously squeeze lime wedges over.