Modaks are believed to be lord Ganesha’s favorite food. Make these sweet coconut-jaggery dumplings at home with our RoyalⓇ Basmati Rice
For the Coverings
- 1 cup RoyalⓇ Basmati Rice
- 1½ cups water
- A few drops of Oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon white sesame
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- ½ cup powdered/grated jaggery
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- Grind Royal Basmati Rice to a fine powder in a food processor.
- Boil water in a pot with few drops of oil and salt.
- Add the rice flour and stir on low flame for 30 seconds. Switch off the gas, mix well and cover with a lid for 5 minutes.
- Allow the dough to cool slightly and knead it well. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it come to room temperature.
- To make the filling, add ghee to a heavy bottomed pan on low heat, add poppy and sesame seeds and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut & jaggery, stir continuously for 3-4 mins. Don’t over-cook the mixture, it should be moist.
- Add cardamom & nutmeg powder. Mix well and switch off the gas.
- Keep a bowl with ice cubes handy to wet your palms and make small balls of the rice flour.
- Flatten it gently and evenly, put a little coconut-jaggery mixture in the center. Ensure there are no cracks.
- Now get the edges together and pinch the top to close. The modak should look like cone shape from top.
- Place the modaks on a greased steamer and steam for 7 to 8 minutes on medium heat. The texture will change once cooked.