Khichdi (rice & lentil porridge)
- 3/4 cups yellow or red lentils
- 2/3 cup Royal® Basmati Rice
- 1 teaspoon ghee or cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups water, plus more
- Yogurt (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- In a 3 quart large pot with a lid, heat the ghee over medium heat.
- Add mustard and fenugreek seeds and toast until the mustard seeds pop. Add the asafoetida, ginger, turmeric, and cumin and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add lentils, Royal® Basmati Rice and stir until coated with spices.
- Add water and bay leaves to the pot and bring to a boil. Simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- You can thin the khichdi to the desired consistency by adding more water. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with yogurt and cilantro.