Jackfruit Bowl with Royal® Basmati Rice
Delicious and nutritious, jackfruit is a tropical fruit popular in Southeast Asia, and it makes a fantastic meat substitute! Go meatless for dinner today with our smoky Jackfruit Bowl with Royal® Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Royal® Basmati Rice
- 1 ¾ cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups green jackfruit in water
- 1 tablespoon GrapeOla® Grapeseed Oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce of choice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings and vegetables such as: lettuce, grilled pineapple, cabbage slaw, avocado or baked beans
- In a medium sauce pot, combine Royal® Basmati rice, water, and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add oil and onion; cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender. Add garlic; cook for another minute. Add the jackfruit, BBQ sauce, and 1/2 cup water. Stir and cover; turn heat down to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes, then stir again, adding more water if needed. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, shred the jackfruit. Add smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Add more BBQ sauce if desired.
- Assemble the bowls with rice, jackfruit, and vegetables. Heat hot and enjoy!