Garbanzo Rice Medley with Onions & Cherry Tomatoes
This quick and easy rice dish blends essential carbs and proteins for a satisfying lunch or snack that’s reminiscent of Mediterranean cuisine. It can be made with fresh or leftover rice.
- 1 cup Royal® Basmati Rice
- 1 medium white onion or 4-5 scallions (green onions)
- A handful of parsley
- 4 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional)
- Prepare Royal Basmati Rice. This can be done up to one day ahead. While the rice cooks, dice the onion or slice the green and white parts of the green onions fine. Mince the fresh parsley. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Drain the garbanzos and rinse them well.
- Heat oil in a skillet and sauté the onion for 1-2 minutes until soft. Add tomatoes and cook for just 1 minute to release their juices. Add salt and pepper.
- Mix in the drained garbanzo beans. Stir in the cooked rice and half the parsley. Make sure all ingredients are well combined and heat the rice for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Transfer rice to a serving dish and garnish with the remaining parsley. If you have sumac, sprinkle some over the rice. Kalamata olives, a Greek salad, and Feta cheese make great accompaniments to this meal.