Butter Halloumi Bowls
Tip: For a spicy curry, add 1 seeded and diced red chili pepper, and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper.
2 pkg (8.5 oz each) Royal Ready to Heat Cilantro Lime Rice
12 oz halloumi cheese, sliced into large chunks
4 tsp garam masala, divided
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
2 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp butter, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp minced fresh gingerroot
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup 35% heavy cream
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Toss halloumi with half of the garam masala, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook halloumi for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Melt 1 tbsp butter in skillet; cook garlic, onion and ginger. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in remaining garam masala, cumin, coriander and turmeric. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in tomato sauce, cream, tomato paste, and remaining salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened. Fold in halloumi. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut remaining butter into cubes. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter just until incorporated into sauce. Stir in lime juice.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Spoon butter halloumi over rice; sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves.